Stepping off the plane the first thing I noticed was the smell. iT is the smell of a country that is not my own. Driving through Jakarta the traffic was overwhelming. Uncle Rick noted that 1.5 million motorcycles were added to Jakarta's roads last year. This didn't surprise me as we were surrounded by them on each side as we drove through the city. It's amazing the accuracy of their driving--you would think somebody would hit somebody.
On the way home from airport we stopped at a mall to pick up a few things and also get something to eat. It was a fun way to experience Indonesia in the first few hours. As we walked though a grocery store in the mall, I began to learn of many new things in a new land.
One thing shocking about the city of Jakarta is the economic diversity. There are huge skyscrapers and at the base of them shanties. I am beginning to get the sense that Poverty and Riches know no boundaries here.
I understand this post is random, but this reflects my experience this far. It feels good to be in a new place, seeing new things. I hope that in some way I capture my first impressions for in a few days what seems so new and different will become the norm.
No comments:
Post a Comment